When an application is no longer needed or causing problems on your computer, you might want to uninstall it. For whatever reason you want to do it, Windows 11 makes uninstalling an application relatively simple. This article will walk through the steps involved.
Uninstall applications from the Start Menu
The first and easiest way to uninstall an app on Windows11 is to use the Start Menu.
- Click the Windows icon in the taskbar to open the Start menu.
- At the top of the Start menu, some pinned apps are listed. If the app you want to uninstall is one of them, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- If the app you want to uninstall is not pinned, click All apps to the right of the pinned apps group. A list of installed programs will appear.
- Scroll through the list and locate the app you want to uninstall. Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Once you click Uninstall, a dialog box will appear asking if you want to confirm the uninstall. To proceed, select Uninstall.
Uninstall applications from Settings
Settings app is another easy way to uninstall an app on Windows 11.
- To open the Settings app, click the Windows icon in the taskbar and select Settings.
- Click Apps in the sidebar, then select Apps & Features.
- Scroll through the list and find the app you want to uninstall. Click the three-dot menu to the app’s right, then select Uninstall.
- To confirm that you want to uninstall the app, select Uninstall in the popup box.
Uninstall applications from Control Panel
You can also use Control Panel to uninstall specific apps on Windows 11.
- Search for “control panel” in the start menu, and press enter to launch the Control Panel app.
- Under the Programs section, select Uninstall a Program.
- Scroll through the list, find the app you want to uninstall, and double-click it to open the uninstall dialog box.
- Select Yes in the dialog box to confirm that you want to uninstall the app.
Uninstall applications using Command Prompt
Command Prompt is a more technical way to uninstall an app but can be helpful in some instances.
- To open the Command Prompt, click the Windows icon in the taskbar, then type “cmd” into the search box.
- From the search results, right-click the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter.
wmic product get name
- This will give you a list of all the installed programs on your computer.
- To uninstall a program, type the following command and press Enter.
wmic product where name='app_name' call uninstall
- Replace “app_name” with the name of the app you want to uninstall. For example, if you want to uninstall Microsoft Word, type the following command.
wmic product where name='Microsoft Word' call uninstall
- To confirm that you want to delete the program, type “y” and press Enter. The process of uninstalling will begin.
- Once the uninstall is complete, type “exit” and press Enter to close the Command Prompt.
Uninstall applications using Windows PowerShell
Another advanced but efficient way to uninstall programs on Windows 11 is via Windows PowerShell.
- Click the Windows icon in the taskbar, then type “PowerShell” in the search box.
- From the search results, right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
- In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter.
- This will give you a list of all installed apps on your computer.
- If you can’t find the app you want to uninstall, use the PowerShell title bar to search for it. Right-click the title bar and then select Edit > Find.
- Copy the PackageFullName of the app you want to uninstall.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
- Replace the app_name with the PackageFullName. For example, if you want to uninstall WhatsApp Desktop, type the following command.
- Once you press enter, Windows PowerShell will uninstall the application.
Uninstall applications using third-party apps
To completely remove an application from your computer, you can use third-party tools such as Revo Uninstaller. These apps not only uninstall your chosen applications but also searches your drive to ensure any traces of those applications are deleted permanently from your system.
Revo Uninstaller is a free program that can uninstall stubborn apps and clean up leftover files and registry entries.
- Download Revo Uninstaller from the official website.
- Install it on your computer.
- Open Revo Uninstaller and locate the app you want to uninstall. Then, right-click it and select Uninstall.
- A popup screen will appear, asking you to confirm the uninstall. To proceed, click Continue.
- Revo Uninstaller will now uninstall the application and scan your system for any leftover files.
- When the scan is complete, another popup window will appear. If you want to delete the leftover files, click Yes.
- After choosing yes, a message will appear telling you that the process is complete. Click OK to finish.