In Slack, most of your discussions with colleagues take place in chat. Slack status lets your workspace members know what you’re doing. Slack has five default statuses, but you can set your status to anything. Also, you can choose an emoji for your status from the default list.
These are the default statuses you can use in Slack:
- In a meeting
- Out Sick
- Working remotely
Changing your status in Slack is easy. Follow these steps to do it on computer or the Slack app.
Table of contents
Set your Slack status on a computer
- Go to Slack, and launch your workspace by selecting Launch Slack.
- Click on your Profile picture in the top right corner and select Update your status.
- In the pop-up, select the emoji/status from the list. If your status is not in the list, type it in the text field. Note: The text should have a limit of 100 characters.
- Under the “Clear After…” drop-down, pick how long you want the status to last. If you want the status to remain until you manually change it later, select Don’t clear.
- For a custom status duration, select Choose date and time. Finally, if you want to pause receiving notifications, tick the box next to Pause notifications. When ready, click Save.
- Slack will now update your status!
To change or remove your status:
- Click on your profile picture.
- Click on the current status.
- Under “Set a status,” click on the x icon to update your status.
- Add a new status icon, description, and duration, then click Save.
- To delete the status click on Clear status below your avatar.
Set your Slack status on the mobile app
- Launch Slack and tap on the You icon at the button.
- Click on What’s your status? or Update your status section.
- In the pop-up, pick an emoji/status from the list. If it’s not in the list, type in your status in the text field. Then, click Clear after…
- Pick how long you want the status to last. If the time is unavailable in the drop-down, click Custom to customize the status duration.
- Finally, click on the tick icon to save.
- To change or remove your status, tap on the You icon again.
- At “Set a status,” click on the X icon.
- Click on What’s your status? Add a new status description, icon, and duration, then click Save.
To delete the status click on the X icon.