Windows 11 already comes with hundreds of pre-installed fonts, and installing new fonts is quite easy. If you can’t find a specific font inside the default library, you can download new fonts in three different ways:
- Install new fonts from the Microsoft store
- Use third-party websites
- Enable fonts for other languages using Control Panel (use this if you need a font from a different language)
Installing fonts from the Microsoft Store
- Launch Microsoft Store from the Start Menu by searching for Microsoft Store
- Once Microsoft Store launches, search for Fonts in the search bar
- Click on Explore new fonts
- Microsoft offers many different well-designed fonts on this page. Choose the font you want to install for Windows 11. In our case, we’re choosing Arial Nova as it looks quite professional.
- Click “Get” to download the font.
- Once the font is downloaded, click “Open”. Congratulations, you now have the new font installed on your PC!
Installing fonts from 3rd-party websites
If you’re not satisfied with the fonts Microsoft Store has, you can use free third-party websites to download other, more unique fonts. After downloading a font you can then install it using File Explorer. Some of the best websites to download Windows 11 fonts are:
For this example, we will be showing you how to download and install fonts from Google Fonts
- Visit Google Fonts and search for the font you want to download in the search bar. In this case, we will download the font Roboto Mono.
- In the search results, click on the font you chose.
- On the next screen, you will find different styles of the font you selected. By selecting Download Family, you will download all the styles of Roboto Mono as a zipped file.
If you don’t want to download all files but some, you can click on Select this style the selected files will be added to the right-hand side of the screen.
- When you have chosen the specific styles of the font you want, click on Download all and they will be downloaded in a zipped file
- Go ahead and extract all the files inside. To do this, right-click on the file and select Extract All…
- After extracting the file, you will find several files of the downloaded fonts all with .ttf extensions. Each file has a different style like thin, italic, light, etc. To preview each font style, you can open the file.
- To install a font , click on the “Install” button at the top of the document
An alternative way to install downloaded fonts
You can also use the drag and drop feature of Windows 11 to install the downloaded font on your PC.
To do this, open the extracted files folder and Fonts menu in Settings side by side. To open up the fonts menu, read the “How to check if you have a font downloaded” section below.
Now, we will simply drag and drop the Roboto-Black.ttf file in the drag and drop section you see on the right side of the screen.
Installing fonts for other languages using Control Panel
If you want your PC to have fonts from all other languages, you can use this method.
- Press Win+R to open the command prompt
- Search for “control panel” and click OK
- Open Appearance and Personalization
- Open the Fonts folder
- On the left side, select Download fonts for all languages
- Press OK
How to Check if you have a Font Downloaded
After installing a new font, you might want to check if it’s been installed properly. Windows 11 makes it easy to preview all your fonts.
- Open Settings and click on Personalization
- Select Fonts
- To check if you have a font downloaded, type the name of the font you’re looking for in the search box. For this example, we will search for a font we just downloaded, Arial Nova
- Click on the result that appears on the screen
- A page with all the font details will open. You can type anything in the font preview bar to see the font in action.
- You can also change the font size from the size bar just below the preview bar