Discord is a popular platform that allows users to set up servers and engage in text, audio, or video communication. Whether it’s to talk while playing your favorite online game, communicate with an entire server, or chat with friends, learn how to set up and use Discord on your Windows PC.
Download and install Discord
- To download Discord, go to the official Discord download page.
- Click on the Download for Windows button and wait for the download to complete successfully.
- Once DiscordSetup.exe is downloaded, double-click on it to begin the installation process.
- The program will then begin to install and download the required updates.
- After the installation is complete, log in to your Discord account to start using it on your PC.
- If you are new to Discord and are yet to create an account, click on Register as shown below.
- Next, add your email, username, password, and date of birth in the Create an account window.
- Discord will ask you to verify your account. Click on the Start Verification button.
- Enter your phone number on the next screen. You will receive a verification message on your phone.
- Enter the verification code in the prompt displayed in the Discord window.
- Type your password again in the next prompt. Your account should be created successfully.
- In some cases, Discord might require you to verify your email address as well. In this case, you will receive a verification email.
- Click on the Verify Email button and follow the on-screen instructions to proceed.
- Hit on Continue to Discord. Voila! You should be able to use your registered Discord account!
Add a Friend on Discord
Now that you have created an account, it’s time to add your friends!
- Click on the green Add friend button in the Discord window, as shown below.
- Add their username and hit Send Friend Request. Once your friend request is accepted, you will chat with them.
Join a Server
The easiest way to join a Discord server is via an invite link. If you have an invitation, here is what you need to do:
- Click on the server link provided to you. Once you click on the link, a confirmation prompt will appear to confirm if you want to join the server. Click on the blue Join button as shown below.
- Once you do that, Discord will automatically open the server. A list of your servers is displayed on the left side of the application.
- Alternatively, you can join the server through the join menu of Discord. You can do this by clicking the + icon in the left panel.
- After that, select Join a Server. Enter the server address into this menu, and then click Join.
- You can also search Discord servers using the “Server Discovery” feature. This is recommended if you want to find servers that align with your interests. Click the explore icon in the lower left to access Server Discovery.
Chat in a Text Channel
Once you have joined a server, you might see a list of its channels appear in a small column. Names of text channels typically begin with the hash symbol (#) and describe the nature of the conversation.
- Click a text channel to join it. Note: Channels that don’t have speaker icons are just for regular text chatting.
- Use the typing area at the bottom of the screen to say something in the channel. This will be visible to anyone in the channel once you press Enter or Return to send it.
- You can also add emojis and react to the messages others send (in the channel or to you individually).
Chat with Voice and Video
Voice channels do not have hashes to the left of their names but a small speaker icon. You can interact with other members using your computer’s microphone and camera with voice channels.
Before you begin using the voice and video features, here is what you need to do:
- First, click the gear icon at the bottom left of the window.
- Select Voice & Video in the left panel.
- In the ‘Input Device’ menu, select your microphone, and in the ‘Output Device’ menu, choose your speakers.
- Select Let’s Check and say a sentence. If the voice indicator does not move, try raising the input volume.
- Now, head over to the Input Mode section.
- Choose Voice Activity to make the microphone pick up your voice immediately after speaking. Alternatively, if you do not want the microphone to be on all the time, select Push to Talk.
- Now, click Test Video to ensure your webcam works before using video chat. Choose a different input if necessary.
Once you have adjusted the settings, it’s time to join a channel with a speaker icon. Follow these steps:
- Join a channel with a speaker icon.
- If your speakers are on and the channel participants are speaking, you will hear the conversation, and your mic will activate as well. If you talk, you will see a green outline around your avatar.
- If you want to change someone’s volume, right-click their avatar to launch the volume controls.
- To share your video, click on Video. By selecting this option, you will activate your camera so that others can see what you’re doing.
- If you wish to stop the video, click Video again.
- To leave a voice channel, click the phone icon which has an X next to it.
Send a Direct Message
- To send a direct message to your Discord friends, select Friends from the left panel.
- Head over to the All tab. Your screen should now display a list of all the people you have added to Discord as friends.
- Select the text icon next to the person you want to text. This should take you to the “Direct Message” window.
- Type the text message and hit Enter to send it.
Create a Group Chat
With Discord, you can create a group chat with up to 9 members. Here is how you can do that:
- Click on the plus icon next to ‘Direct Messages’.
- Select the friends you want to add to the group and hit Create Group DM.
Create a Server
- Click on the plus button below your servers to create one of your own.
- If you want to create a server without any template, click on Create My Own. To choose a template instead, select one under ‘Start from a template’.
- Next, choose whether you want to make this server for a few friends or a larger community. You also have the option to skip this option for now.
- Then, customize the server by uploading a photo and server name. Once done, hit Create.
- Once the server is created, launch it and expand the drop-down menu located in the top-left corner of your screen.
- To invite your friends, select Invite People.
- To invite your friends, copy the invitation link or click on the Invite button next to their usernames.