A dropdown list allows users to select an option from a list – this saves space and makes it simpler to gather responses. Google Sheets conveniently allows you to convert a range of cells into a dropdown and create a dropdown menu from scratch. Follow this guide to learn how.
Method #1: Create a dropdown list from a range of values
- Select the cell where you want the dropdown list to appear.
- From the “Data” menu, select Data validation.
- In the Data validation dialogue box, select List from a range option from the “Criteria” dropdown.
- In the source field, select the cells containing the values you want inside your dropdown.
- Mark the checkbox next to Show dropdown list in cell. Finally, click Save.
Your dropdown list is now ready to use on the cell you selected.
Method #2: Create a dropdown list by inserting the data
- Select the cell you want the dropdown list to appear in.
- From the “Data” menu, click Data validation.
- In the “Criteria” dropdown, select List of items.
- Manually enter the data (separated by commas) you want to be inserted in the dropdown.
- Check the Show dropdown list in cell option. Finally, click the Save button.
Your dropdown list is now ready to use!