You should change your Outlook password regularly to avoid having your account stolen or hacked. Before changing your password, first identify if you’re using Microsoft 365 or the basic Outlook.com email. Then, follow the step that corresponds to your account type.
Changing the Outlook Password for Microsoft 365 Users
The steps below apply only to Microsoft 365 subscribers.
- Open your browser and sign in to office.com.
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the window.
- Select Change your password at the bottom of the right panel.
- Enter your old password in the input field under Old password.
- Type your new password in the input field under Create new password. Use at least three of the following: lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers, and symbols. The password should also be at least eight characters.
- Retype your new password in the input field under Confirm new password. Then, click Submit.
- Sign in to your account using your new password.
- To open the Outlook web app using your new password, click on the Outlook logo in the left panel. This will open the Outlook web app automatically.
- To open the Outlook desktop app using your new password, launch the Outlook app. You will then be asked to sign in. Type your new password, then hit Sign in. You can now use your Microsoft 365 account as usual.
Changing the Outlook Password for Outlook.com Users
The following steps apply to users with an email ending in @outlook.com.
- Sign in to microsoft.com and click the profile logo on the window’s top-right corner.
- Select My Microsoft account found under your email address.
- Go to the Security tab.
- Click Change password in the upper portion of the window.
- Click on your backup email to verify your identity.
- Type your backup email in the input field. Then, select Send code.
- Check your backup email for the code and type it in the input field. Then, click Verify.
- Type your current password in the input field under Current password.
- Enter a new password in the input field under New password.
- Enter your new password again in the input field under Reenter password. Then, hit Save.
- To open the Outlook web app using your new password, go to outlook.com and sign in.
- To open the Outlook desktop app using your new password, launch the app. It will automatically update the password for you.