One of the most critical tasks in Excel is adding or removing rows from tables. You can add or remove rows using a few simple steps.
In this guide, I am using the Office 365 version of Excel (build 2203). Other versions of Excel will have similar instructions.
How to Add Rows
For this guide, I will make a simple spreadsheet to which I will add and remove rows. The data I’m using shows the monthly sales of different items.
- We have a table consisting of four rows. Each row contains the name and monthly sales amount of the listed items.
- Select a row from the vertical bar. The vertical bar has the rows listed in numerical order. Select a row from the vertical bar and right-click on it to add or remove rows.
Once you have found where you wish to add the new row, right-click and select Insert.
- The new row is added above the cell you selected.
How to add Multiple Rows
You will often need to add multiple rows in excel to complete your table.
- Select where you want the new rows to be added. In this case, we want new rows to be added at the third and fifth positions. Next, hold down the CTRL key on Windows (Command on Mac) and highlight the rows by left-clicking on them.
3. Right-click and select Insert to add your new rows.
Consecutive rows will be added similarly:
How to Delete Rows
The process of deleting rows is similar to adding them. First, highlight the rows you wish to delete and then select Delete.
- Select the row you want to delete. Once you have highlighted a row, right-click and click Delete.
The deleted row will be replaced by the row below it.
How to Delete Multiple Rows
- Select consecutive rows by holding the left mouse button and highlighting the rows you wish to delete. Or you can highlight specific rows by holding CTRL (Command on Mac) and selecting individual rows.
Deleted rows will be replaced by the rows below them.